|Anonymous | Login | Signup for a new account||2014-09-19 11:49 EDT|
|Main | My View | View Issues | Change Log | Roadmap|
|View Issue Details|
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0000965||PacketFence||web admin||public||2010-04-19 18:52||2011-01-26 15:38|
|Priority||normal||Severity||feature||Reproducibility||have not tried|
|Target Version||1.9.1||Fixed in Version||1.9.1|
|Summary||0000965: Admin Portal - Granular Access Control|
|Description||I had a client request that for their PF installation that some staff only have access to certain areas of the Admin portal. |
The Network administrator desired total access for their staff. And, that help-desk staff only need access to the Node pages to register company laptops and and deal with daily operational issues.
|Additional Information||We accomplished this task with only a minor change to a single PF file. This solution uses 3 files (which I have attached as a single text file). |
admin.perm - CSV list of admin-user and page permission values
adminperm.inc - PHP include that checks permissions after the header.php loads
header.php - original PF PHP file (we added 36 characters)
A couple of operations notes
- Permission is granted based on the admin-user having a permission value greater then that of the page.
- We used 1-5 for our permission values but you can set anything you like to increase flexibility.
- If an admin-user clicks on a page for which the are not allow they are returned to their default view
- If an admin-user is not listed in the permission file they are told this and logged out.
- We have not in anyway tried to get the 2 new files into the db.
- We have a loud for a group of admin-users to share a common name and permission level. The file adminperm.inc provides for a deliminator setting so that users like staff-1 and staff-2 only need to be referenced as staff-.
|Tags||No tags attached.|
|fixed in git revision|
|fixed in mtn revision||ede8be2323f45d3c308e6a91bed0b19f11e8e1a5|
|Attached Files||PF-ADMIN_ACL.txt [^] (3,090 bytes) 2010-04-19 18:52 [Show Content]|
Please note as pointed out by my guy Kevin,
I did a renaming of the files and forgot to update the line in the header.php snippet I presented
This is a solid demonstration of granular access control done easily. This was requested several times without anyone willing to pay for it. Thanks a lot for sharing!
I did a little review and we are aiming to merge it as is in the upcoming 1.10.x (or 1.9.1). 1.9.0 is almost out so it won't cut it.
Some remarks (for us for future work on it):
- Opening a file on each page hit, it should be cached in session on login instead
- No way to edit rights through web
- Not conforming to our usual ini-style config files
- Because it's done in header.php, can the security be circumvented if you already know the right POST or point directly to a popup URL?
Thanks again for sharing this with us! Follow this bug to be updated when the merge will be done.
|Category change because 'security' is to track security issues.|
|As expected, we are in release mode for 1.9.0 and this will have to be merged later. Targeting for 1.9.1.|
edited on: 2010-07-27 12:37
Imported your contriubtion into public branch: org.packetfence.feature.granular-admin-access
and added a task list: feature.granular-admin-access.TODO
Feature merged into 1.9 branch.
Following changes on top of your contribution were performed:
- got rid of the delimiter approach for a role approach instead
- using .ini style format instead of custom fileformat
- using php .ini parser instead of custom parser
- concept of a default role where a user with no entry will have the default role instead of being denied
- not parsing the perms file on each page hit, cached in session on login instead
- 'You don't have sufficient permissions' page instead of a redirect
- Popups are handled also (were not before, you could load them straight)
- Documentation in admin guide
Your contribution has been attribute in NEWS and will be in the release notes.
I will generate a snapshot release of 1.9.1 that will include all this pretty soon.
|2010-04-19 18:52||rdanielli||New Issue|
|2010-04-19 18:52||rdanielli||File Added: PF-ADMIN_ACL.txt|
|2010-04-21 09:47||obilodeau||Status||new => assigned|
|2010-04-21 09:47||obilodeau||Assigned To||=> obilodeau|
|2010-04-21 10:17||rdanielli||Note Added: 0001519|
|2010-04-21 10:39||obilodeau||Note Added: 0001520|
|2010-04-21 10:40||obilodeau||Note Added: 0001521|
|2010-04-21 10:40||obilodeau||Severity||tweak => feature|
|2010-04-21 10:40||obilodeau||Category||security => web admin|
|2010-04-21 10:40||obilodeau||Target Version||=> 1.9.0|
|2010-05-04 18:00||obilodeau||Note Added: 0001541|
|2010-05-04 18:00||obilodeau||Target Version||1.9.0 => 1.9.1|
|2010-07-27 12:36||obilodeau||Note Added: 0001615|
|2010-07-27 12:37||obilodeau||Note Edited: 0001615|
|2010-08-05 10:20||obilodeau||mtn revision||=> ede8be2323f45d3c308e6a91bed0b19f11e8e1a5|
|2010-08-05 10:20||obilodeau||Note Added: 0001626|
|2010-08-05 10:20||obilodeau||Status||assigned => resolved|
|2010-08-05 10:20||obilodeau||Fixed in Version||=> 1.9.1|
|2010-08-05 10:20||obilodeau||Resolution||open => fixed|
|2011-01-26 15:38||obilodeau||Status||resolved => closed|
|Copyright © 2000 - 2012 MantisBT Group|